The Sewing Revolution, that is.
It is the Future and it is
Here's How It Works:
1. Choose your pattern from a library of independent designers.
2. Pick your fabric -19 varieties such as silk, cotton, jersey, twill, etc.
3. Select your surface design - 295,500 to be exact, or design your own.
4. Plug in your measurements for a perfect fit - OK, It's not that amazing YET, but a reliable source says they are exploring that capacity. If you're between sizes, choose the larger. You will also receive a PDF of all the sizes which you may print off and make your adjustments accordingly.
5. Look over pattern placement to optimize where the surface design lies on the body. (Crotch flowers: no thank you.)
6. Receive your custom fabric/pattern hybrid and proceed to cut and sew!
This. Changes. EVERYTHING.
New sewers get an edge by utilizing this service. Sure, you have room for a sewing machine, but do you have room and time to lay out all the pieces for cutting? Cutting layout is done for you. Grainline, nap, economy of fabric - these are steps that traditionally could make or break a handmade garment for a novice sewist.
NOTE: Shrinkage has been accounted for in the printing, so you will want to pre-wash your fabric prior to cutting to allow for that.
It’s not only a resource for the home sewer, but the implications for indie designers with RTW e-commerce are huge. Imagine this:
1. You are shopping online at your favorite site.
2. You see a dress you fancy.
3. Customize by selecting your choice of fabric, trim, hem lengths, sleeves, no sleeves?
4. Order is sent out for printing
5. Order is sent to the floor for sewing or direct to consumer for a discount to be assembled at home.
6. Company saves HUGE on overhead. No need to purchase, store, and track an inventory of clothing that may or likely may not sell out completely. Customer gets exactly what they want. Win, win? Not to mention the Environment, let's not sell that short!
This here is a celebration at the intersection of